It’s been six-ish months since I made an overly ambitious list to accomplish during my 31st year. I felt the need to check in and make some adjustments.
Ooot and Aboot
1. Travel to a new country (as in new-to-me, not a newly FORMED country)
2. Check out an awesome music festival – I saw Tom Petty, and will finally see Dylan in November. I think I’ll give myself a pass due to those two.
3. Apply for a British passport
4. Hike in the Rockies – Done! – Consolation Lake hike
5. Reach Air Canada Altitude status – I won’t even come close. This will have to wait for next year!
6. Investigate garden allotments – Turns out the wait list for these starts on the first working day in February, so this will be a goal for next year!
7. Explore my own city
8. Go to the middle of nowhere and watch a meteor shower – Thank you, camping
9. Go to yoga weekly – Three times a week. Showing my hips a little love.
10. Run a 10K race in under 1:05 – Done! Sporting Life 10K at 1:02:13, such an awesome race
11. Get at least seven hours of sleep a night…consistently
12. Take Meatless Mondays a step further and make mine vegan or gluten-free
13. Conquer my fear of heights and go rock climbing
14. Hold a plank for two minutes – Done June 18th! Now working on my forearm plank time as a new goal
Arts and Crafts
15. Watch Good Will Hunting – Done! Thanks Target for having cheap, cheap movies. Now I understand the popularity of “How do you like them apples?” and also, it’s a great movie.
16. Get a membership for the Bloor Cinema and check out some docs
17. Learn all the lyrics to “I Wish I Was a Little Bit Taller” – This should be in the next month, almost there!
18. Do something crafty once a month – I’ve sewn bunting, made Steve’s birthday present, made a guestbook tree for my parents’ anniversary, drawn, made birthday cards and will be making centerpieces for this weekend’s Thanksgiving dinner as well as some crafty goodness for Victoria’s wedding. I think this is one of my favourite tasks.
19. Listen to the entire Rolling Stones catalogue in chronological order in one weekend – Done! This was a beast of a weekend. I felt like my life oscillated between feeling as though I was in a Wes Anderson film…to a Scorsese one. Also man there were some dud albums.
20. Take a photography class – Done! May 1st. Intro to DSLR at Henry’s Camera, now to put my lesson into practice more often.
Money, Money, Money
21. Meet with a financial planner and determine an investment strategy
22. Set up a weekly and monthly budget. And use it.
Personal and Professional Growth
23. Get my French to a basic conversational level (I’m very good at ordering wine…)
25. Learn Photoshop
26. Overcome my fear of needles and donate blood – Done! It was terrifying. But rewarding.
27. Have a digital detox weekend and disconnect from social media and the internet – Done, July 25-28th. It coincided with a trip to BC which helped tremendously, but once the anxiety over not knowing what was happening faded it was very refreshing to just enjoy where I was, read more and not worry about what was going on elsewhere. I think I’ll do this regularly as a reset of sorts.
28. Make time to write at least once a week
29. Get published
30. Read five books that I really should have read by now but haven’t
31. Most importantly, on February 26, 2015, look back on 31 and realize it was an awesome year, and resist the urge to end up face-down in a cake.
Yikes. 9 out of 30. Need to get moving! (Update as of November 24 – 12 out of 30!) (Update as of January 15 – 16 out of 30!)
Who wants to help with any of these?