I had the brilliant idea to embark on a coffee crawl while in LA recently (Venice Beach, to be precise). The sun was warm, I was a tad sleepy, and I thought it would be a fun way to explore the neighbourhood.
A few notes:
- I can’t drink a lot of coffee. Caffeine makes me jumpy, excitable, nervous, twitchy, etc. etc. And by a lot, I mean more than a shot of espresso. Maybe two cups of regular coffee over the course of a day. I KNOW.
- Bar crawls are social endeavours (unless, you know, you have a problem). Important to have company for any type of crawl. Yep.
- By a tad sleepy, I mean I was exhausted after accomplishing a weird triathlon-esque 10K run and 25K bike ride the day prior. Sorry, legs.
So, armed with a book and a notebook, I set out. Here’s how it went.
8:30 a.m.: LEGS OW. COFFEE YES. First latte of the day at Cafe Collage! Conveniently around the corner.
9:30 a.m.: Intelligentsia! You fancy. (ordered: cappuccino and a gluten-free banana muffin, about which I noted “Sustenance is needed for this task. I am committed to my craft.”)
9:40 a.m.: Seriously, people line up for coffee? Venice, you crazy.
9:45 a.m.: Trying to rewrite lyrics to “Macarena” with “banana muffin.” (I can’t make out these notes)
10:30 a.m.: Book finished, but my head hurts.
10:31 a.m.: Oooo, hipster soundtrack ahoy! They’re playing Arcade Fire AND Pavement.
10:32 a.m.: AGHHHHH. (I think my head started hurting again)
10:40 a.m.: Please. Feed your screaming baby next to me (the entire place was empty, yet the seat next to me was chosen for this task)
10:45 a.m.: Coffee three! Cow’s End! Let’s go to the beach! (just a coffee this time, because espresso was making my heart race)
11:13 a.m.: Debating renting a skateboard because am now feeling invincible and positive and that nothing can go wrong in life.
11:30 a.m.: I’ve come to my senses, thanks to overwhelming NOOOOOs from Twitter. Thanks guys.
11:45 a.m.: Almond milk latte from Groundwork. SO GOOD.
Noon: I think I should stop.
12:31 p.m.: Took a break from the coffee bender because guys, I’m not a machine here.
2:30 p.m.: Hang on, has Target always sold booze?
3 p.m.: Actual food needed. Heading to Manhattan Beach.
3:30 p.m.: Can’t talk. Eating. Sloopy’s, I love you.
5 p.m.: Ended the madness at four – three espressos and one coffee. Drank nothing but water for the next seven hours.
Thoughts once I’d come down from all the caffeine:
- Intellegentsia was nice, but too pricey for my regular tastes. A fun splurge, and excellent muffin.
- Under $3 for an almond milk latte and a great selection of brews makes Cow’s End one of my favourite places for coffee, anywhere! I’ve rambled on about my love for them before.
- Seriously the Target I visited in LA sold booze. And not just wine.
- If Sloopy’s in Manhattan Beach ever closes I can’t go to LA any more, so PLEASE DON’T EVER CLOSE.
- Any type of crawl activity needs more than one person, not just for the social company but so one can carry the other’s ass home and put them to bed so they don’t drive almost to Watts (South Central, to be precise) looking for a craft store and then miraculously find one and wander its aisles singing along to a Backstreet Boys song playing on the radio, softly. THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED.